Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Action Day (Remix)

First off, I would like to apologize first because I know I’m a little late to the Blog Action Day party. However I thought I would do a little variant to the topic, which is water accessibility, particularly in 3rd world nations. Instead I will talk about a different water topic, the stigma of tap water. All of my life I have found the concept of bottled water ridiculous for many reasons. First off it has an astronomical price for something you can get virtually for free. A gallon of bottled water at my local grocery store costs $2.50 (a price similar to gasoline) and a gallon of the local tap water costs about $.05. What exactly are you paying for with that extra $2.45? Most would respond better quality? No, actually bottled water is held to lower standards than tap water. (Note: read more at http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/exesum.asp It is very interesting what the companies hide.) Maybe you’re paying for convenience? I guess you could be, but why not spend $3 on a nice Nalgene and fill it up with tap water? You’ll save a bundle in the long run. In essence, when you buy bottled water you’re paying for their profit, nothing else. It just sickens me that we have perfectly good tap water that other developing nations dream of and we won’t even drink it, and it even more amazes me that the marketing firms for these water companies have some how told a whole nation that they need to buys something they already have. However they did it, I applaud them because I sure don’t think I could do that.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite bottled water experience was one time I saw a kid buy a bottle of water and fill up his Nalgene with it when he was right next to a functioning drinking fountain.

    ReplyDelete