Monday, November 8, 2010

NBA: National Boring Association?

Tonight marked the start of the college basketball season, and I for one have watched two more college games than NBA games already and there have only been two college games so far. During the second half of the Rhode Island-Pittsburgh game, I thought about this and seriously pondered why I liked college so much more than the NBA that has bored me all my life. I tried to figure out why but the reasoning seemed to elude me. Was it that the NBA is much faster paced dish-and-dash game that the paced, play running college game? No, it couldn’t be because there are many college teams that run a fast paced offence like Kentucky and Tennessee. Was it that there are more teams in the college game that never gives a repeated game in a season (besides conference)? Could be… but there are really only 50ish teams that TV stations choose to broadcast, which is relatively close to the NBA’s 30. Then I figured it out. The wording was elusive to me but I could finally spit it out. It is the soul, mentality and the passion put into the game, not only by the players but also the fans. Once you actively look for it, it is hard to not notice. For example, tonight featured a game between 25th ranked Texas and Navy. This was labeled as a sure blowout by Texas tonight, yet Texas’ arena was still packed with fans and there was an atmosphere of a playoff game. How often is there a sold out crowd in the NBA when a pretty good team like Denver plays a bad team like New Jersey? The answer: not very. The NBA also lacks the hustle and effort put in by the players. Countless times I have seen a player go in transition for a layup with all the defenders waiting in the back court for the next possession. The NBA is also a collection of some of the biggest egos in the world. Players often complain about playing time, and the minute they start to sink in the depth chart, they call their agents to get them out of there. In college you see 3rd string player come in and give 110% for the entire whopping 5 minutes he gets to play a game. Then came the next question in my mind, why? Why is it that college players go all out and leave it all on the court, but when professionals start losing in the game they think about where they’re going to dinner afterwards? I realized that it’s because there is a tomorrow for professional players. With 80+ games in the season, not every game matters. But in college there are only 30, so every game has implication on their postseason future. Also, most college players don’t go onto the NBA, so once their four seasons are over, its all over for them. They’re going to put in as much possible now because that’s all they get.  NBA players play an average of 10+ seasons so they can afford to call one season a failure and give up. My suggestion to the NBA: If you want to win me back, shorten the schedule, get rid of the whiners, and reward effort. This would tap into a large fan base, because I know there are others who feel exactly the same.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad, I completely agree. I am a big lacrosse fan, and I follow it fairly closely. In 2009, I believe, Major League Lacrosse ended up cutting four teams out of the league. Although this was for financial reasons, it did have a great impact on the pro game. I was coached by a Team USA player and two professional players the summer that the league was shortened and I got an interesting perspective on it. With having only 6 teams, both of my coaches that played pro were cut, and they both said it was for the same reason: "I'm not a bad player, but with only six teams, every team is an allstar team". It really made me think about how hard we should work to get the opportunity to play, and I completely agree with how lazy professional players are becoming.

    ReplyDelete